Good morning everyone, I hope that you’re all doing well today and are enjoying what the day brings you. I, in fact, am just about to begin a morning yoga routine to start my day. Isn’t this just so simple? Like I have said before it’s the little things in life that truly make us happy. The book I am reading ties into this idea, it’s called How Philosophy Can Save Your Life and the basic principles outlined in this book inspire me.
I’m not one to sway anyone into believing one theory over another, but these principles can surely be lived by anyone, if you just let it. Everyone wants to live a great life, make a statement, make money, contribute to a good cause, but how do you get there? How do we begin with something so small and it blooms into something so unique or inspiring? Are we too focused on the big picture and forget to just focus on one thing, or smile? I think if we all just focused on the following 10 principles (established from famous philosophers), we would truly live a more fulfilling life:
1) Simplicity- Think about it, how many times have you been told ‘don’t make things so complicated’, ‘it’s simple, just try it’. Go for a walk and don’t listen to music, sit and start writing, do whatever comes to mind first and you may be surprised at how easy it is and how good you feel. Be simple.
2) Communication- I don’t mean texting or email communication, I mean discussions, talking and understanding of yourself and another individual. Speak and listen. Listen and Reflect.
3) Perspective- Here’s an idea that I am always thinking about, even in my job. I have to think about the consumer in different angles. What method will work for them to sell this product? What might they be thinking? The same thing applies in everyday life. What you may be thinking is different than how someone else views a situation. If you grasp this concept, you’ll have a better understanding of yourself and others.
4) Flexibility Not everything is set in stone. Heard that one before? Life is a roller coaster. Now, I am positive you have heard that one before. Be flexible and you will be less worried and your expectations will adjust.
5) Empathy- Be kind. Be understanding of others feelings and emotions. When you help others you are also helping yourself:)
6) Individuality-Don’t follow the crowd or the latest trend. Have a different opinion then your friend. Live life backwards. Be You. No one else is, right?
7) Belonging-Everyone wants to feel like they belong. Belong to a family, a school, work, to the community. If you don’t have this sense of belonging. Join a social group, volunteer, write. You’ll create a sense of purpose that you decided for yourself.
8) Serenity- Do yoga, have tea, just sit and focus on one thing or idea. Be at peace and you will have more room for joy in your life.
9) Possibility- What do you want out of life? What is within reach, you just need the time and money for? Where do you see yourself in 5 years. Look at yourself and all the wonderful possibilities!
10) Joy-Smile everyday and you will bring joy to yourself and others. Try to think of one positive thing that you are happy about each day (whether that is an accomplishment of yours, how you feel today, or the awesome breakfast you made yourself). Spread some joy with that peanut butter.
Whatever you believe in, or whatever makes you happy. Do it. But remember these principles, because I believe this is your base or your foundation, if you will. Read the book and see for yourself.
Have a good day! 🙂